St. Catharines & Area Aquarium Society!
Last night, June 1, we had elections and a fantastic BBQ with the most deviled eggs in the history of any club. Lot's of salads, Great BBQ burgers and sausage. And a fantastic aquarium cake. Next meeting isn't till September now so have a great summer.
Cangratulations to Paul Paradis and Tina and Dave Easingwood as new executive members. Let's all make sure we pitch in to help them get going.
Next meeting is Monday September 14 due to the 7th being Labour Day. 7:30 PM at the Seafarers Union Hall
We meet at the Seafarers and Teamsters Union at
70 St. David St. East in Thorold, Ontario.
Who Are We?
The Society was established in 1958 and is a non-profit, educational organization that is dedicated to the task of promoting interest in the breeding, raising, maintenance and study of aquatic life, both at the beginner and advanced levels. We achieve these goals by sharing information from our own experiences and also by bringing in recognized expert speakers. We also have a fairly large library with books on pretty much any topic to do with fish.
The St. Catharines & Area Aquarium Society is a charter member of the Canadian Association of Aquarium Clubs, Inc (CAOAC - www.caoac.ca). The St. Catharines & Area Aquarium Society is also a member of the Federation of American Aquarium Societies (FAAS – www.faas.info).
Meetings of the St. Catharines & Area Aquarium Society are held on the first Monday of each month at 7:30 p.m at the Seafarers & Teamsters Union Hall, 70 St. David's St. E. Thorold, Ontario. If the first Monday of the month is a holiday, the meeting will be held on the second Monday of the month. There are no meetings held in July or August.
While our meetings start at 7:30 p.m, most members arrive early to chat beforehand and to enter items into our auction or jar show. Our President calls the meeting to order around 7:30. He informs us of club news, introduces new members and talks about recent fish endeavors.
Next we present breeder awards to anyone who has successfully bred a species of fish. Find out more about the breeder’s award program by clicking here Then awards are presented to those who have successfully propagated an aquatic plant. Find out more about the horticultural program by clicking here Following this, someone introduces that month’s presenter and topic.
We have a digital projector and projection screen for presenters to truly present the programs they bring in the most effective way possible. We even have a full room sound system when needed. Some of the many topics have included how to start a saltwater tank (with a live demonstration), presentations from experts, some are our own members, who have traveled the world collecting exotic fish, and setting up a do-it-yourself CO2 system. This year’s line-up looks just as exciting!
There is always an “intermission” during which time everyone mingles and discusses their aquariums. Coffee and snacks are always available. Whether you’re interested in a species of fish, having trouble with algae or wanting to set up your first tank, someone will be able to help. Our club consists of some of the friendliest people you’ll meet; we’re always willing to help each other out.
After the break our club's Jar Show Judge announces the winner(s) of the jar show. Find out more about our jar shows, including how to enter, by clicking here We also have raffles with fantastic prizes that are drawn right after the results of the jar show.
Lastly, we have our monthly auction. Here, you are able to bid on or enter your own healthy aquatic creatures, plants and functioning aquariums and supplies. The fish and plants in our auction far exceed the quality and selection you can find in stores. 70% of the profit goes to the seller and the club keeps the other 30%to help pay the bills. Find out more information and forms for the auction by clicking here The auction is one of the highlights of the meetings for many people because you are able to find great deals on reliable aquatics and equipment.
Come on out and see what you think. If you enjoy yourself (which we know you will), get a membership for you and your family for the year. It's less than the cost of seeing a movie and much more enjoyable! In addition, membership comes with access to our monthly newsletter, the "SCAT", which features articles by hobbyists, information about upcoming events in the hobby and information about our sponsors. Find out more about becoming a member by clicking here
Next meeting is Monday April 13. 7:30 PM at the Seafarers Union Hall
The presentation will be made by Larry Johnson covering his most recent trips to Africa. Larry has also received the honor of having an article about his efforts to re-establish some of the habitat and species on their last African adventure.